While the stereotype of linoleum flooring as being dated and belonging in your grandma’s kitchen does exist, we here at Floor Coverings International of Vancouver and Portland think that that stereotype is in itself dated. Whether you want retro linoleum for your vintage kitchen, or modern linoleum with all of its updated benefits, linoleum flooring has gotten a bad rap and we think its time to change that. So with that in mind, here are the top 10 reasons why you should choose linoleum flooring for your next project!
- Linoleum is a natural material and is very eco-friendly. Bet you didn’t see that coming! That’s because for many flooring laymen, linoleum is the same thing as vinyl, when in fact they are very different materials. While on the surface vinyl and linoleum may look alike, vinyl is actually made from synthetic plastics, whereas linoleum is made from solidified linseed oil, which is made from flax. So if you’re looking to be sustainable and green in your flooring choice, look no further than linoleum!
- Linoleum is a very affordable flooring option. While floor coverings like hardwoods, high-end tile, and natural stone will all cost you a pretty penny, linoleum is a budget-friendly option that won’t break the bank. At approximately $3 to $4 per square foot installed, linoleum is sure to keep costs low.
- Linoleum has a much longer lifespan than vinyl, to which it is most frequently compared. Properly maintained linoleum can have a lifespan of up to 40 years, twice that of a comparably priced vinyl floor. This is because linoleum’s color and pattern are in-dyed, so the color permeates the whole material.
- Linoleum is very durable, and can stand up well to high traffic. It also handles wear and tear quite well for the same reason as its longer lifespan. Scrapes and scratches don’t show as much since the color of the floor permeates to the backing. This is in contrast to vinyl, which gets its appearance from a photographic decal layer.
- Linoleum is very low maintenance. Regular sweeping and occasional mopping are all it needs to keep it in tiptop shape.
- Linoleum is a very versatile flooring option, with all sorts of patterns, colors, and styles to choose from. This means that no matter what, you’ll be able to find a linoleum floor that fits with your interior design aesthetic.
- Linoleum is very easy to install, which will save you time and hassle. Linoleum tile in particular is quite simple to install, although sheet linoleum can be a bit wilier. Still, compared to a flooring like hardwoods, which take days just to acclimatize to a room before they can even start being installed, linoleum flooring makes for a stress free installation.
- Linoleum is a resilient flooring material, meaning it is relatively soft underfoot. This makes it a great choice for rooms like kitchens where you’ll be on your feet for long periods of time. Whereas a hard material like ceramic tile will leave you sore and achy, linoleum will keep you fresh and ready to move on to your next culinary masterpiece! In fact, linoleum is often used by break-dancers as an alternative to cardboard.
- Linoleum is biodegradable and releases little to no volatile organic compounds (VOCs) so it will be easy on the air quality of your home. It also doesn’t attract allergens the way carpet does, and because it is so easy to clean, it makes a great flooring option for those worried about their health and the air quality of their home. As a bonus, linoleum is non-allergenic.
- Linoleum is very resistant to water and moisture, so it can work in bathrooms as well as kitchens and other rooms.
If you think that linoleum flooring would be good for your next flooring project, call Floor Coverings International of Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR today!