Few things make a room feel more luxurious and elegant than natural stone tile flooring. There is just something about the rich, natural colors, the texture, and unique look that gives a room that air of sophistication. There are a wide range of styles, colors, and styles available to fit all tastes and décor, but there are a few things you should know when considering stone for your home. Allow the experts at Floor Coverings International Vancouver/Portland to help you out!
Absorption Rating for Natural Stone Tile
Natural stones vary widely in their absorption rates, so you should take this into consideration when choosing this type of tile for your home. The more absorbent the material is, the less resistant it is to stains. Furthermore, absorbent stones can crack when temperatures drop below freezing because moisture gets trapped in pores and the expansion puts too much strain on the stone. There are five classifications for the absorption rates of natural stone:
- Non-vitreous – Highest level of absorption and are typically not recommended for damp environments such as a bathroom or kitchen. Sandstone is non-vitreous.
- Semi-vitreous – These tiles are less absorbent than non-vitreous but do still require additional care to prevent cracking and stains, especially if repeatedly exposed to liquids over time. Not recommended for bathrooms. Travertine, slate, and limestone can fall into this category, but with the right finish and sealant, these stones can be classified as vitreous.
- Vitreous – This is the absorption level of natural stone flooring tiles that is the most common. Good sealants and finishes can bring more porous materials up to this level. Polished stones are also less absorbent.
- Impervious – This level is the most resistant to moisture; it is non-absorbent. Granite usually falls into this category due to the finish and seal that is used.
Popular Design Styles
The sheer versatility of natural stone makes it a popular choice for many homeowners. Several of the more popular design styles include:
- Geometric – The classic grid pattern is probably the best-known patterns of the geometric style. You can use square or rectangular stones in a variety of colors or just one.
- Classic French – This is a lovely, elegant pattern that incorporates large tiles and small diamond cut or marble cabochons.
- Custom Mosaic – This pattern has no set pattern but is a mixture of various colors of tiles that can be laid in any pattern.
- Subway Style – This pattern uses rectangular tiles that are offset as opposed to being lined up like the grid pattern.
- Diagonal – This is actually a grid pattern, but it sits at a 45-degree angle adding dimension and visual interest.
Natural Stone Tile in Your Home
Natural stone tile can increase your home’s value while adding an air of elegance to any room. At Floor Coverings International Vancouver/Portland, our team of flooring experts are ready to help you find the perfect tile for your kitchen, great room, bathroom, or any room in your home. Call us today and create the home you’ve always dreamed of.